Pain management needs to be tailored for older people. The British Pain Society and British Geriatric Society produced guidelines specifically for this client group
This link is to a page summarizing an article from the professional journal Nursing Times. The article lists five key points:
- Pain is a risk factor for falls in older people
- It is thought that 50% of older adults living in the community, and 80% of those living in care homes, experience chronic pain
- Few studies look at the effects of pharmacological interventions specifically on older people
- Combination therapy using different classes of analgesics may be more effective with fewer side-effects, compared with higher doses of a single medicine
- Further research is needed on psychological treatments for pain in older people
You can see the entire two-page article by clicking on the link for the PDF file under “Related Files” in the middle of the page.